National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: PRAY AT HOME: KENNEDY ANSWER TO COURT DECISION: In a six-to-one decision, the Supreme Court rules that school children nay not recite a prayer in New York classrooms as it violates Constitutional guarantees of the separation of Church and State. At his News Conference, President Kennedy urges everyone to pray more at home and attend Church more often. "SHOES" FOR WALKING ON WATER: Pentagon officials witness a... Topics: Newsreel, Braddock, James J. (James Joseph), 1905-1974, Baer, Max, 1909-1959, Boxing, Louis, Joe,...
National Archives description:" The original release sheet reads: FIRST LADY NAMES NEW SUB: Mrs. Kennedy christens the newest of our Polaris-equipped submarines the "Lafayette" - named for the Frenchman who contributed so much to the American revolution. KENNEDY SAYS U.S. HAS ROLE IN ECONOMY: Addressing the convention of the United Automobile Workers, the President says that his office has the duty to take part in wage and price rise negotiations. NEW MISSILE BLOWS UP: The... Topics: Newsreel, USS Lafayette, Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963, USS Lafayette (SSBN-616),...
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: NEWS HIGHLIGHTS OF 1961 The Year 1961 was a year of international tensions compounded by crisis after crisis. CAIRO: Riots protested Lumumba's death. CUBA: A Communist regime strengthened it position 90 miles from the U.S.A. CONGO: Warfare still split this newly-created nation. LAOS & SOUTH VIETNAM: Here, again, War continued to plague both countries. ALGERIA: Brother is pitted against Brother in this French possession.... Topics: Newsreel, Project Mercury (U.S.), Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963, Grissom, Virgil I,...
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: KENNEDY TOUR: CALLS FOR U.S. LEAD IN SPACE: The President tours four Space installations: Huntsville, Alabama; Cape Canaveral, Fla.; the Houston Manned Space Center and the McDonnell plant in St. Louis. He inspects our Space progress and gets highly classified reports on how far we've gone. In Houston he calls for backing in our Space effort, saying we cannot afford to lag if we want to be in the forefront of nations.... Topics: Newsreel, Fashion, Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963, Project Mercury (U.S.), Manned...
Titan II launch in South Atlantic, with camera on 2nd stage - makes film of stage separation above earth, "The curvature of the earth is plainly visible. Through the magic of the camera earthlings take their first ride into space." (partial newsreel) favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Whole issue on Friendship 7 Mercury space flight of John Glenn; Glenn getting ready, puts on space suit, walks to launch pad, 6 am EST, 10 months after Gagarin, gets into his capsule on top Atlas missile, rocket blastoff, animation of capsule turning around, go for 7 orbits, "actual pictures of Glenn in the capsule" and animations of Glenn's orbit around earth, destroyer Noah lifts capsule aboard, Glenn rests and then lifted aboard helicopter for flight to carrier USS Randolph...
(1) B-52 with X-15 takes off from Edwards AFB, drops X-15 and burns for 81 seconds, pictures from space, landing by Major White, flew at 3700 mph, 4 pilots get Collier trophy at White House (2) Thor rocket launches Echo balloon (3) new HEW Secy Selabrizi replacing Ribicoff (4) Ike trip abroad as private citizen on liner Queen Elizabeth (5) Algeria feud between leaders (partial newsreel)
Popovich and Nikolai follow two previous manned flights to become third and fourth Russians to orbit; globe animations, "Tracking stations indicate that there is little doubt of the success of the Russian feat that are seen as 2 years ahead of the U.S. effort." newspapers; Russians sent back TV pictures; jubilation in Russia (3) Herbert Hoover Library dedicated on his 88th birthday in West Branch Iowa; Truman is guest; Hoover received honorary degrees (partial newsreel)
(1) Yuri Gagarin arrives at Moscow airport in his first public appearance, greeted by Khrushchev, hugged, then stands on Lenin's tomb (2) Ike's return to Pennsylvania (partial newsreel). favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) (glitches) - Discoverer XIII capsule recovered 333 miles from Hawaii, 50-star flag taken from capsule and given to Ike (2) Echo I satellite launched by Delta rocket from Cape Canaveral the next day, relayed telephone call from Ike to west coast, see tape recorder running (3) X-15 rocket plane soared to 151,000 feet, film of earth from plane shown (partial newsreel)
(1) Saturn I rocket blasts off at night carrying Pegasus II satellite; animation of second stage, then spreads 96-ft wings (2) De Gaulle. . . - was elected president in 1958, on tour in France, wreath on statue of De Gaulle's hero Clemenceau (3) new Vietnam weapon - Coast Guard cutters sent to Vietnam to patrol coast, the "new policemen" (4) "Copter Sets Record" - XH-51A helicopter 240 mph (5) Chelsea flower show visited by Princess Margaret and Queen Mother, in heart of...
Cape Canaveral flight of 2 monkeys Baker and Able in test of nose cone re-entry, night launch of rocket, capsule fished from waters of Caribbean, Navy tug makes recovery, opened, monkeys removed unharmed, Baker is tiny squirrel monkey and Able is rhesus monkey (partial newsreel).
Edwards AFB B-52 takes X-15 aloft under its wing, is "cut loose over Mojave Desert" landed by Scott Crossfield (2) Connecticut - Groton CT launch of USS George Washington Polaris sub (partial newsreel) favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
1) Terrapin research 2-stage rocket launched from Virginia (2) "Nato College. Defense Students Inspect U.S. Units" - visit West Germany bases, airborne units land by parachut, rockets displayed (partial newsreel)
(1) Operation Farside, test of rocket fired from balloon to carry instruments, 5th attempt successful to launch balloon, rocket blasts off from balloon (2) MacMillan speaks, following visit with Ike (no lip sync) (3) Ike makes Atoms for Peace award to Neils Bohr (partial newsreel).
White House ceremonies award medal to Nautilus Capt. Anderson who points to map, scenes of Nautilus sub, interior views of crew "ranks with man's first strides into space in 20th century achievements" (partial newsreel). favoritefavorite ( 2 reviews )
Atlas missile launched from Cape Canaveral on secret mission at night, goes into orbit by its own guidance system, carries new communications system, broadcasts Ike's message from satellite in space, actual sound of Ike's voice heard (partial newsreel). favoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
Alan Shepard flight on Mercury, given medal by JFK at White House, Jackie had to remind him to pin the medal on, parade up Pennsylvania Ave, Shepard as "space pioneer" (partial newsreel). favoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
1) At White House, Macmillan meets with JFK; Wise Men pose (2) Soviet films of rocket test, animals, mice, dogs; capsule parachutes to ground; high altitude test only, not space orbit (3) Siberia visited by Khrushchev, given sheep, corn (4) B-47 bomber test of remote control system (5) Bonx Zoo (6) Sports - Germany vs Holland women's soccer (complete newsreel). favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) Santa Claus arrives in Allentown PA fair in space ship and kids with sputnik helmets (2) seven-foot French basketball player, Bing Crosby unveils his library at Gonzaga (3) Korean mother of pilot who defected with MiG (4) Canada family has 17 children (partial newsreel).
(1) UN General Assembly, Hungarian foreign minister walks out (2) satellite prepared for outer space, model of 72-ft rocket (3) Hungarian refugees arrive in San Francisco for resettlement (4) preview of film "Battle Hymn" story of Dean Hess, played by Rock Hudson (5) Ike golfing at Augusta National with Canadian PM (partial newsreel).
"Backneck, NJ: Remarkable scenes as the naval scientist and Major Chester L. Fordney of the Marine Corps, salvage their balloon and instruments and tell of their exploration into space during which they reached an altitude of 59,000 feet before landing in a swamp, miles from human habitation." sound of Fordney speaking at end. (partial newsreel)
News in Brief - at Cape Canaveral, Thor Able missile launches Courier satellite that can rebroadcast messages, not just reflect them back like recent Echo; and Courier related a message from Ike to UN (partial newsreel) favoritefavorite ( 1 reviews )
(1) story of Project Vanguard as geophysical year opens (IGY) - 3-stage 72-ft rocket will launch from Patrick AFB in FL, animation of stages separating, tracked by radar stations and telescopic camers, computers on ground, "man's first stride into space" (2) Sweden Albatross sailing ship in NY "those sails are nylon" (3) "The AF puts on a mighty show of power for its departing chief of staff Gen. Nathan Twining" who is becoming Chief of JCS - planes fly over,...
(1) "The dramatic film history of the atom bomb test at Bikini! Pictures of the actual bomb drop! Blasted ships and the terrible destructive force of the world's fourth atom bomb! Universal Newsreel, in cooperation with the Army and Navy, presents the motion picture drama, 'Operation Crossroads.' This film record of the historical event shows in dramatic detail the various phases of the epochal experiment, from takeoff to the awful blast that destroyed or damaged more than half the ships... favoritefavoritefavoritefavoritefavorite ( 4 reviews )